This is a calendar of hobbit events on the LOTRO Laurelin server, typically events in the Shire and hosted by hobbits. If you have events you want added to the calendar, send me a letter!
All times in the calendar are given in current London/UK time. The LOTRO servertime (Boston/US East Coast time) is usually 5 hours behind London time. To see the servertime while in-game, just type /servertime. If you are unsure what London time is in your current time zone, you can use this time zone converter.
Current times are:
- London Time
- Blue: General announcements of special interest dates (hobbit months, festival periods etc.)
- Green: Public events, open for all hobbits
- Red: Kin events for hobbits in the Grand Order of the Lost Mathom
Kin tea for Grand Order members. Well met!
Date: Saturday November 13
Time: 7PM UK time /2PM server time
Location: Songburrow Hall
The Yule festival returns! Let’s go to Winterhome again!
Yule Festival dates: Start: December 9 @10AM. End: January 4 @3AM. All times servertime.
More information about yule at FibroJedi’s place
Date: Every Friday
Time: 7:30PM UK time (usually 2:30PM servertime)
Location: Green Dragon Inn, Bywater, Laurelin server
Weekly hobbit gathering at the Green Dragon inn in Bywater, running ever since May 18 2008. This is an event for and by hobbits, although a few visiting traveling dwarves are always welcome. It is also a 100% in-character event, so don’t go talking about things not belonging in Middle Earth!
Come along for songs, dances, poetry, tales, riddles, news and much grand roleplaying! And do offer yer own entertainment, if yer like!
At other times over the year, GDF will move to other inns in the Shire. The new years party is usually held at the Plough and Stars in Brockenborings, while we always escape Bywater when the mayor hosts the Farmer’s faire in the late summer.
Green Dragon Friday is an in-character roleplaying event aiming to replicate a lively hobbit night at the inn. We try to enable a healthy lively hobbit roleplayer community here on Laurelin. To help us do this, please follow these guidelines:
- Be a hobbit!
- Be in-character, talk about things belonging in Middle-Earth. That also goes for entertainment!
- Avoid forced emotes, unnatural pets inside, spamming with emotes, etc.!
- Take part, be active!
- Try avoid multi-boxing!
- Keep news and events relevant for Shire hobbits!
- Acknowledge what others are doing, spread out if things are too busy!
- While travelling dwarves are welcome to stop at the inn for a refreshing ale during their travels, we ask that elves and menfolk do not attend the event. Men and elves were rarely (if ever) seen in the Shire villages, and especially not the inns. However, if yer have quests to do at the inn, by all means come inside to finish them
- Be in-character – be a hobbit! Keep player interactions (chats, emotes) and entertainment in-character, basically by talking about the things that hobbits in Middle-Earth would. Don’t discuss real-life modern-day things, game mechanics, etc.
- Avoid using forced emotes, setting off fireworks inside, bringing pets that wouldn’t belong in an inn, throwing 3000 snowballs, emote spamming, etc.
- Be active and engage with the others. It is better to participate than to just stand around waiting for others to entertain you (however, feel free to come observe things the first few times).
- Avoid multi-boxing with lots of alts. Yes, we know that you love to pull off that fat sound of a many-musician band. However, when the room is full of similarly-clad robots marching in line (if they move at all), who don’t respond when you talk to them, things get rather creepy and the immersion we look for is often ruined.
- Entertainers are very welcome! Just sign up with the hobbit hosting the event, preferably by a /tell. Note that we absolutely love solo bards/performers – a lone lute-player is often better suited for the inn setting than a huge band. Also note that we absolutely love other kinds of entertainment than music: Poems, stories, riddles, the latest news from the Shire… lovely! If you want to play music, it is grand if yer aim for a folksy hobbity vibe, with reels, jigs, waltzes, hornpipes and the likes.
- Gossip and news is very welcome! This helps bring life to the event and the roleplaying in the Shire. Just remember to keep things in-character. Related to events: We generally don’t advertise events held on other servers, events not of hobbit interest, events not held in the Shire or events not of a roleplaying character.
- The inn can sometimes be busy, especially near the entertainment fireplace. It is good if you keep this in mind when interacting with others, go into crowds to talk to someone, etc. Some examples: If someone is reciting a stirring poem from the battle of Greenfields, it is probably good to wait a bit to run up and say hello to them. If someone is regaling the crowd with an exciting tale, it can undermine the mood if you move two feet away from them and talk about things not related to the tale at all. If you’re doing a deep discussion with just one other person there, it could make sense to move away from the busiest part of the inn, for instance to the bar or another corner. This is mostly a matter of acknowledging what is going on at the inn and making an attempt of not undermining the roleplaying efforts of others.
Additionally, we ask that participants follow the roleplaying rules and policy for Laurelin, with regard to player names, chat behaviour and harassment.
Lastly, while the above may sound like a long list of rules, don’t worry too much! Them hobbits are a friendly and tolerant lot, eager to welcome new visitors to the inn. See yer there!
Questions about the event?
Contact: Lina, Grand Order of the Lost Mathom.
The December OAKS concert is with Die Bunten Vögel. All details are in the Bramblebury Gazette!
Date: Saturday December 11
Time: 8PM UK time
Location: Oldfurlong, town square, Shire homesteads
Serve up the mulled wine!
Raise the yule tree!
Let us celebrate the start of yule together!
Date: Sunday December 12
Time: 7:30PM UK (2:30PM servertime)
Location: Songburrow Hall, Songburrow, 4 Brookbank Street, Shire homesteads, Laurelin server
Yule is near, and what better way to celebrate than meet yer fellow hobbits and greet the festive season welcome? The Grand Order is happy ter invite our friends over to our kin hall Sunday December 12. We’ll put up our yule tree, have some mulled wine and enjoy some yule music!
Biweekly hobbit market in Michel Delving, held at the ovens and crafting area!
Time: 7:30PM UK time
Location: Michel Delving ovens and crafting area
Especially good for young hobbits setting out on their journeys in Middle Earth, since they can get quality goods fer reasonable prices. More information here!
Contact: Tibba and Nimelia, Grand Order of the Lost Mathom.
Yule love it!
Yule is getting nearer, and what better thing to do than to make a large drawing to greet yer friends a very merry yuletide? Not much! So here we go!
Date: Tuesday December 14
Time: 7:30PM UK (2:30PM servertime), PLEASE BE ON TIME
Location: Winterhome, near Stable Master
We will have two meetups again this year to help make the drawing, and this is the second. We will be in Winterhome, the Yule festival village. See below for details!
What will happen this year? Will there be ballets with purple snow beasts or surprise parties for old lonely hobbits? Shall we visit the dwarves or sigh over a lack of snow in the Shire? Take part to find out!
Once again, I’d like to make a yule video with as many hobbit players on Laurelin as possible. The video will be released December 24th, in the Hobbity Yule Calendar.
For this video shoots, please remember:
- Dress up all festive and warm for Yule in a snowy place.
- Winterhome is likely layered, which means you will need to join a fellowship/raid to transfer into the right place. Come early, so we don’t spend all evening on this. Send a /tell to one of the Grand Order hobbits around, and them will help yer!
- Be a hobbit!
- Do not have any pets summoned!
- DISABLE ALL SPEED BUFFS! Hunters, I am especially looking at you and the “Find the path” skill, please disable it.
- Be prepared to follow orders!
- Try to avoid speaking in /say, use the raid (/ra) instead
- Have fun!
In addition to the video shoots, I’d also love it if all hobbits sent me a screenshot of themselves in-game, in a festive/merry/yule motive. I can use those in the end credits of the video.
- Please use high-quality screenshots (1024×768 pixels is really the minimum, but much larger is better).
- Widescreen format is preferred!
- Don’t add any effects or text to the images.
- Make sure they aren’t too dark.
- Send the screenshots to me before end of December 21st, at the very latest! Use this email:
For inspiration, here is the yule video from last year.The 2020 hobbit yule video
Come celebrate the Foreyule with us at the Green Dragon!
Date: Friday December 17
Time: 7:30PM UK time (2:30PM servertime)
Location: Green Dragon Inn, Bywater, Laurelin server
While we fully expect that many hobbits may be busy preparing and planning Yule this Friday, other might need an ale to calm down before the festive storm. Yer are heartily welcome to the Green Dragon Friday Foreyule party! Expect festive moods, a meal and lots of Yule entertainment.
So do come for a mug of ale, good company, a story, a dance and grand Foreyule gossips. If yer have entertainment and news to share, that’s grand too! Welcome, hobbits! And a very merry Yule to everyone!
Please note: Green Dragon Friday is a roleplaying event for hobbits. While travelling dwarves are always welcome at the inn, for lore reasons we generally ask that the Big Folk do not attend. Please roll up a hobbit instead to attend, it is grand fun!
The Hobbitry-in-Arms invites you to celebrate Yule with us!
Date: December 19th, 2021
Time: 7.30PM ((UK, 2:30PM servertime))
We will gather in Winter-home to enjoy fine company, festive games, scrummy food, and ale a-plenty!
There will be music from our band, The Bullroarers!
All friends, locals, and passers-by are welcome!
We welcome all races to share in our Yule celebrations with us!
For more information please contact one of our officers on Laurelin Archives or in-game.
Send a /tell to Demelsa on the night to get invited to raid in order to join the same Frostbluff layer.
First of the Yuledays, last day of the hobbit year!
Second of the Yuledays, first day of the hobbit new year!